Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Reading: Farm City

I first spotted it on the shelves at Kramer books in DC a couple of weeks ago...with it's graffitied wheelbarrow cover ....Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter, a story of Oaktown citysteading. A table of contents that reads as follows: Turkey; Rabbit; Pig. Basically irresistible, right? Except for the fact that it's a hardback, which made it at least as heavy as a Mission burrito and impossible to read with one hand while dangling from whatever I manage to grab a hold of on the Muni sandwiched between my neighbors and random strangers. So I told myself, hold off until this beauty arrives in paperback.

But then it began popping up everywhere I turned, bookstores, blogs, even the NYT Book Review. I read Novella's blog and was hooked. I bought the last copy at Alexander Books just last night and awoke this morning to a feature of the book in a CSA e-newsletter story from one of my favorite writers, who also happens to be a farmer, Andy Griffin.

Now it's time for me to stop blogging and keep reading--Novella's baby birds just arrived by mail...

No comments: